The Production Manager, working as part of the Theatre Services Department and reporting to the VP & General Manager of the Boch Center, will oversee, coordinate and execute all production related aspects of attractions and functions held in Boch Center’s facilities, the Wang Theatre and Shubert Theatre or events presented by Boch Center in outside facilities.
- Minimum of 5 years related Production Management experience dealing extensively with popular music, commercial theatrical productions and special events/functions.
- A proven track record working with touring concert and show personnel.
- Detailed knowledge of all production aspects including carpentry, rigging, lighting, sound, properties, backline, audio-visual, artist hospitality and artist logistics fulfillment.
- Ability to coordinate needs of multiple attractions and functions simultaneously.
- Ability to work within established client budgets and meet or exceed goals.
- Thorough understanding of safety issues and practices relating to theatre operations and live productions.
- Ability to read and understand theatrical stage drawings specifications and Technical Riders.
- Ability to work well within the Boch Center’s team environment both inside the Theatre Services Department as well as other institutional departments.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to handle a fast-paced environment and communicate effectively with promoters, touring personnel, and other constituents in advance of the events and day-of-show.
- A positive track record working with an IATSE and Teamster union workforce.
- A history of proven budget management that adheres to both company and client goals.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and CAD programs.
Essential Job Duties:
- Work with incoming attractions and functions, internal staff, unions, and vendors to advise, assist and implement all production needs.
- Oversee all production related staff including stagehands, wardrobe, teamsters, and hair, as well as in conjunction with Director of Theatre Operations, Facilities staff during functions.
- Prepare and update detailed estimates/budgets for attractions and functions on a regular and timely basis.
- Provide timely and thorough responses to production requirements.
- Set and enforce safety standards and procedures.
- Ability to understand and work within various labor union agreements.
- Assure that a full complement of employees, as required by the needs of the attraction/function, are available for work as scheduled.
- Review, reconcile, code, and approve payroll submitted.
- Maintain excellent working relationship with various city and state agencies, e.g. City of Boston Fire Department, City of Boston Transportation Department, City of Boston Public Works Department, as required for production related issues.
- Maintain a cooperative working relationship with the Director of Theatre Operations and work together on city and other facility related inspections as well as fulfillment of attraction/function requirements.
- Assist VP & General Manager in preparation for contract negotiations with production related labor unions.
- Assist VP & General Manager in responding to facility booking inquiries.
- Perform all other duties customarily performed by a Production Manager, or as directed by the Employer.
About Boch Center
The Boch Center is one of the nation’s leading nonprofit performing arts institutions and a guardian of the historic Wang and Shubert Theatres. As New England’s largest cultural venue, the Boch Center is home to theater, classical and popular music, dance, comedy, opera, Broadway musicals, family entertainment, and more.